farmstros can be reached at farmstros@yahoo.com

Thursday, August 4, 2011

I am Curious about Tomorrow's Transaction

I am not going to lose any sleep over it, but I am sincerely curious to see what move the Astros make to replace Luis Durango, who has been sent back to Oklahoma City.

It took me a while to catch on when Durango was promoted a few days ago, but eventually it made sense. The Astros need a centerfielder to fill in until Jordan Schafer's finger is ready to go, apparently 10 to 14 days. Durango fit that bill, plus he is on the 40-man roster so a promotion was logistically easy.

Now three days after his promotion, Durango is going back to AAA and as far as I can tell, Schafer is still disabled. If I were Adrian Monk, I'd drive down to Minute Maid Park and start moving my hands around to see if I could find any clues.

There are no outfielders left on the 40-man roster to promote, so an outfield replacement would require a new entry to said 40-man roster.

Is it time for J.B. Shuck? His not a centerfielder, and has no power, but he has been hitting for average lately.

Is it already time for Jacob Goebbert? He could play RF, with Bogusevic and Bourgeois in CF.

Or to the chagrin of Long Island Ducks fans everywhere, will the club sign George Springer in the morning and pencil him into CF for Friday night's game against the Brewers?

Or will they just forgo another outfielder and bring up Tommy Manzella?

Fear not, Steve Campbell, I am not "exorcised" about this question, but I am looking forward to seeing who the new Astro will be tomorrow.

No comments: