farmstros can be reached at farmstros@yahoo.com

Friday, January 18, 2013

Sayonara, Jose Valdez?

Perhaps I've been hanging out with Jared Webb too much. That would explain why I am making this post that is almost completely speculation.  The Astros announced the remainder of their non-roster invites Thursday afternoon.  As of now, 58 players are scheduled to go to big league camp in Kissimmee in February.

However, after the dust settled, it struck me that Jose Valdez was no longer on the NRI list.  The right-handed pitcher had received his invite when he was signed back in November.  Brian McTaggart's article about the Valdez signing indicates that he had the option(within certain parameters) to sign with a team in Japan.  I haven't been able to find a report on Valdez signing in Japan, yet, but I won't be surprised if he shows up on an NPB roster before the season begins.

No comments: